Remodeling a basement can be one of the best decisions that homeowners can make.
What do you currently do in your basement? If you do nothing in that space or use it as storage for items that haven’t been used in far too many years, it may be time to renovate. Think of all the functional, productive things you could do in that space if it were fully renovated for comfort and safety. Regardless of what your basement currently does to serve your home, there are five benefits to giving it an overhaul in the near future?
1. You can extend the functional living space of your home without building outside of its existing walls. Room additions are an option if you need more living space, but oftentimes you will benefit more by utilizing space that is already available. If you need space and have some that is not currently being used, it only makes sense to renovate that available space so that it can be used in the needed capacity.
2. If you have thought about renting out space in your home in order to supplement your income, a basement apartment is the best way to go. You don’t have to accommodate renters in the main living areas of your home, and your renter can enjoy space that feels more private. It will also rent for a lot more than a room upstairs will.
3. Basements contain a lot of noise so that it doesn’t escape to other areas of your home above. You can use your renovated basement as a play area for younger children or as an office with a buffer zone from the rest of the family. If you have a college-aged child living at home still, they may prefer to have this private space without the intrusions of the rest of the family while they are studying or hanging out with friends.
4. A functional basement that serves as more than a holding space for unneeded items can increase organization for your overall home. If you want to use the area for storage, think about renovating it so that items do not get damp or otherwise ruined. Install shelving and other organizational features so that you can put items where they belong and find them easily or perhaps a workshop in your basement that can be sound-proofed for noise.
5. The value of your property will rise when you renovate your basement. If you ever plan to sell your home, you can expect the home to sell for more thanks to this remodeling project. Your home may also appeal to more buyers due to the functionality of all spaces within the home. You may also want to stay in your home knowing that it has more value because of your remodeling efforts.
If you are thinking of remodeling a basement and live in the Victoria, BC area, we would be happy to provide a free in-home consultation and estimate. Contact Toolbox Renovations today to get the planning process started.